Blog   Back


The health and safety of our clients, staff and communities is still our top priority. We will continue to follow the guidelines set out by Health Canada. Social distancing measures will be in effect. For more details and branch updates, click below.

Read full announcement...

Is Your Insurance Policy Right For You?

There’s no “one size fits all” insurance policy, so it is important to understand your policy. Whether it’s the limit of coverage on your home or property or if you have broad or comprehensive coverage, these are all items you should know and understand.

What’s Your Coverage? Do you have comprehensive or broad coverage? 

Comprehensive - All risk coverage on your home and the contents. This is recommended.

Broad - All risk coverage on your home but your contents are covered for Named Perils. For example: Fire, lightning, windstorm to name a few. Some coverages not included are: mysterious disappearance, accidental damage, rip & stains.

Optional Coverage

Home, tenant or condo policies are generally sold as “package” policies, however, there are additional coverages that can enhance your policy. A few important coverages you may be able to add to your insurance policy are:

Personal Cyber Coverage - Goes beyond any insurance currently available by combining coverage for Cyber Attacks, Cyber Extortion, Online Fraud, and Data Breach.

Sewer Backup / Water Damage - If the city or municipal drainage system overflows and sends water back through the pipes and into your home and/or damage caused by sump pump failure.

Service Line Coverage - Helps you avoid the high costs associated with repairing or replacing failed service lines located on your property.

Home Equipment Breakdown - covers all of your important home systems and property due to loss by mechanical or electrical breakdown.

Overland Water or Flood Coverage - For water damage caused by the overflow of a lake or river, heavy rain or rapid snowmelt that enters your home from a point at or above ground level.

Special Limits Of Insurance

Some of your personal property may be subject to special limits of insurance. This means that there is a maximum that could be paid out in the event of a loss. These items include:

•    Jewellery

•    Furs

•    Watches

•    Fine arts

•    Silverware

•    Business property

•    Cameras

•    Golf carts

•    Dogs, horses

•    Garden tractors

•    Stamps

•    Sportscards

•    Coin collections

•    Watercraft

•    Sailboats

•    Sports equipment

•    Firearms

•    Mobile devices

•    Tools

•    Bicycles

•    Musical instruments

•    Eyeglasses

•    Contact lenses

•    Hearing aids

•    Wheelchairs

•    Food spoilage

If you have any of these items, contact our office to ensure you have adequate coverage.

Do you have a wood stove?

If you have installed a wood-burning stove in your home you must advise us of this change. Photographs and a questionnaire are required for approval.

If you have a wood stove, a WETT inspection may be required. Wood Energy Technology Transfer inspection, is a thorough inspection of all types of wood-burning appliances. This includes fireplaces, fireplace inserts, wood stoves, pellet stoves and outside boilers.

Fire is always a threat to a home and a WETT Inspection can provide “Peace of Mind” for the homeowner and their family.  Also, many insurance companies now require a WETT inspection before issuing a Home Policy.


Travelling for more than three days?

If you’ll be away for more than three days during the regular heating season, you need to take some steps to ensure your insurance policy remains in force.  Ideally, you should have someone come in and check the heating of the home daily. 

A great option is to have a low-temp sensor included with your monitored alarm system. This will trigger an alarm if the temperature in your home drops below a certain level. 


Notify us if your home is vacant

Insurance companies limit the type of coverage they will provide for vacant homes. Some of these limitations are:

•    Water Damage

•    Vandalism or malicious act

•    Glass Breakage

•    Theft or burglary

•    Sewer backup and/or Overland water

Insurance companies also limit the duration in which they will insure the property while it is vacant. 


Do You Periodically Rent Your Home or Cottage?

If so, most insurance policies will not protect you in the event of a loss. We can help you get the additional, proper coverages required.


Did You Know?

Discounts may be available for smoke or alarm systems, non-smokers, mortgage-free, claims free, mature/senior citizens or if you have a higher deductible.


Call or visit one of our insurance professionals today. We would be happy to provide you with options that best fit your needs.

Exclusive Products